Friday, May 11, 2007

The Maine Thing and "This Won't Hurt a Bit"

The Maine Thing:  After the last entry, we were indeed able to find our truck and drive up to New Hampshire.   After that, we got a load to pick up in Maine.  There are very few places I'd rather drive than in Maine.  I think I'd be about as happy in Maine as I am out West.

I had been in Maine briefly a couple of years ago when I was driving solo with Schneider, and just fell in love with the state and its people.   Maine is in the northeast, and there are places in other parts of New England that rival its physical beauty; however, the people of Maine are uniquely wonderful and charming.  

There is a small-town friendliness and helpfulness that is endearing among the people I've encountered there both times I've been up there.  And the clipped, no-nonsense way of speaking and looking at the world is something I could live around very comfortably.  

If you ever get a chance to visit the state of Maine, I would recommend it.  

"This won't hurt a bit."   Terry and I both needed to see a doctor to get refills for medication that we take on a regular basis.  It made sense for both of us since we had to get new doctors anyway to just find a doctor in Dallas, since that is where we consider our home base to be with Schneider.  And Terry needed to see a dentist.

So, Wednesday morning, we were routed through Dallas, and were able to get in to see the doctor and get what we needed done.  Terry had scheduled an appointment with a dentist yesterday morning, and we were originally planning to leave Dallas late on Thursday afternoon.

But after everything the dentist ended up doing with Terry, it just wasn't possible to leave yesterday, so we are still here in Dallas, at the hotel Schneider uses for drivers in Dallas.  We are tentatively planning to leave Dallas this evening, depending on how Terry's feeling.

We already know there's going to be more work to do, so we'll be coming back to Dallas before too long for that.  And we are both looking forward to our time off in Denver for the Norah Jones concert at Red Rocks June 1st.  

Of course, at some point in the middle of all this, hopefully we can drive and make some money.  :-)

I am also happy to report that I've been Walmart here in Dallas several times (in my own car) and have not gotten lost once.  Well, there was that one incident with the car alarm that had the little old lady with blue hair screaming for the police . . .

Until next time . . . keep the wheels rollin' . . . and just say "aaaaahhhhhhh" . . .
Allan

No comments: