Sunday, January 18, 2009

Go See Gran Torino

Go see the movie Gran Torino. If you have not seen the Clint Eastwood movie, Gran Torino , I urge you to go see it. It is in theaters everywhere at the time of this writing. If you are reading this much later, I would urge you to buy the DVD when it comes out. But if you can go see it with others in a big screen setting, the audience reactions to the movie adds a dimension that you wouldn't get just watching it at home on DVD.


Terry and I went to see it last night here in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, where we have been sitting waiting on a load since yesterday morning when we delivered our last load (which we picked up in Brownsville, in The Great State of Texas).


Okay, let's get this part out of the way: there is a lot of profanity and a little violence in the movie. However, I would say, even if those things normally disturb you on some level for whatever reason, go see this movie.


On a scale of 10, 10 being the best, I give this movie a 10 very easily. Wonderful story, great character played by Eastwood. Most of the folks in the movie are not professional actors, and it's obvious, but for the kind of movie this is, it is not a bad thing, in my opinion.


I won't get into a detailed review of the movie – you can read plenty of reviews on the net that are better than what I would write, but no matter what reviews you read or don't read, just go see this movie.


I can't say it any plainer than that.



Tuscaloosa, Alabama. We picked up our load in Illinois last Thursday morning and delivered it to Laredo, Texas with no problems. The truck is running okay, and the weather was good all the way to Texas.


From Laredo, we drove down to Brownsville, to pick up our next load. It was the first time I'd ever been all the way down to Brownsville, the southern-most point in Texas. When you get to Brownsville, if you go one way, you're in the Gulf of Mexico. If you go the other way, you're in Mexico.


I loved going down there. It's the kind of place I'd think about living if I ever decide to actually get a place other than the truck to live most of the time.


The load we picked up in Brownsville was going over to Tuscaloosa, Alabama. We delivered that load yesterday morning, and we have been just sitting here waiting for our next load. At least we are not stopped this time because of weather or truck problems. It's just a result of the slow economy.


I heard an update from Schneider on the current freight situation. Basically, and ironically, it said that everywhere the weather stinks, freight is good, and where the weather is better, freight is softest. So, we are in a very soft market for freight. We probably won't get a load until Monday – that's my thought. And I think we'll have to drive a long way to pick it up.


At this point, just get us moving.



Now – go see Gran Torino.



Until next time . . . keep the wheels rollin' . . . making choices and taking responsibility . . .


No comments: